Men's soccer

Syracuse sat usual starter Hendrik Hilpert, but then his backup got hurt

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Senior Pat Castle was injured in his first career start in the 40th minute when he appeared to slip on wet grass.

UPDATED: Sept. 5, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.

Syracuse senior goalkeeper Pat Castle made his first career appearance when he started in Syracuse’s 3-1 victory over Northwestern on Sunday night at SU Soccer Stadium.

SU head coach Ian McIntyre said a decision was made “based on team rules” to sit usual starter Hendrik Hilpert. The switch up came just two days after Hilpert tied a career-high with six saves against Princeton. Prior to Sunday, Hilpert had started 39 straight games for SU.

“We made this decision together with the team and coaching staff,” Hilpert said. “I support it 100 percent.”

Hilpert entered the game following an injury to Castle in the 40th minute. Castle, a Schuylerville, New York, native appeared to hurt his leg while slipping on the wet field. He had no wrap or ice on following the game.

“He’s just got a bit of stiffness in there,” McIntyre said. He later added Castle is “day to day.”

Neither Castle nor Hilpert made a save in the match. Castle did not face a shot on goal, and Hilpert allowed a Jake Roberge shot past him in the 64th minute for Northwestern’s lone goal of the game.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, SU head coach Ian McIntyre was misquoted. McIntyre said the decision to sit Hendrik Hilpert was “based on team rules,” not a “violation of team rules.” The Daily Orange regrets this error.