Letters To The Editor

Reader says Juul will not be exiting the spotlight any time soon

Karleigh Merritt-Henry | Digital Design Editor

Dear Editor,

It seems as if hundreds of reports of vaping-related illnesses are released each week. Not only that, but some consumers have even fallen victim to e-cigarettes and died as a result. Behind these headlines, however, are various other ailments that have allegedly resulted from e-cigarette use.

These facts are severely alarming, as the audience that has taken the brunt of this is very young. Parents and guardians are concerned as their children are becoming addicted to nicotine and being diagnosed with illnesses with the only connection being e-cigarette use.

Not only are some finding themselves sick due to vaping, but some have experienced faulty devices and exploding lithium-ion batteries caused physical injuries.

The story of the 22-year-old Syracuse University student who experienced a hemorrhagic stroke and lost half of his eyesight as a result of vaping is just one of the many lawsuits that have been filed against Juul Labs. Consumer lawsuits are being filed all over the United States against the company for various reasons, such as exploding devices, involuntary nicotine addiction and the seizure-triggering ingredients of the pods.

States across the United States have even gone as far to take regulatory action against this now deemed “epidemic” and banned the products, cracking down on the company in an attempt to draw the younger population away from the product. Rhode Island, New York and California are just a few of the states who have banned the product in some way, leaving shelves barren of flavored-Juul products.

It appears as though Juul will not be exiting the spotlight any time soon. Headlines are currently filled with news of states continuing to ban the products, Juul’s retaliation and the ongoing mysterious vaping-related respiratory illnesses and deaths. Juul Labs has found itself with a lot of controversy surrounding its name, and it does not appear as if this will change in the coming months.

Sincerely,

Darian Carrow

Staff Writer

ConsumerSafety.org